Wednesday 1 February 2012

Day I: I have 2 mirror radars

My first taster of life without mirrors has been insightful. I woke up, did my hair and put some makeup on from the warm comfort of my bed (perk number 1: not having to get up for the mirror), got dressed (went for an outfit I had tried out before - no daring wardrobe moves today!), ate breakfast, and set out of the house for possibly the first time ever without even a glance at what I looked like.
The walk into town was an interesting one. You know how people say that when someone goes blind, their other senses compensate for the loss and become heightened? Well that's kinda what happened. Because a part of me was set on not looking at myself, another part of me immediately became aware of every window, puddle and shinny car surface I could check myself out in.
As soon as Charlotte appeared, the radar switched itself off. I was well aware that I didn't know what I looked like, having Charlotte check I didn't have mascara up my forehead, but the distraction of interacting with someone took my mind's focus off mirrors, and this happened throughout the day.
I went to my cleaning job soon after, and the house I clean would give the house of mirrors a run for its money. The sinks are mirrors I have to polish, as are the dressers and bed side tables. There are grand mirrors hung about the place, and where mirrors aren't, big windows are. Despite all these, I found it relatively easy to focus on the dirt on the reflective surfaces, and not on what they were reflecting. When I thought about not looking, I resisted. When my conscious radar was on, I didn't look. It was when I got distracted that the challenge became real.
I saw myself once while cleaning in the master bedroom, once at Gemma's house that evening in her kitchen window, and once in my taxi driver's rear view mirror. I would be talking, or daydreaming, and that's when I would automatically look at myself, see myself, startle myself, and quickly look away, all in about a trillionth of a second. I'm surprised at this. The subconscious radar is the one that's going to be an issue. I thought the difficulty would be an inner wrestling match with myself, me fighting with me to stop me from looking. This problem may still arise, I have another 28 days to go, but for now the issue is getting myself out of the habit of subconscious glancing, a habit which seemingly expresses the sizeable concern I have with my outward self.

No comments:

Post a Comment